The Berkeley Fiction Review is a forum for short fiction, published annually. Going forward, we are also trying our hand at publishing short-form fiction comics both in print and online. We accept submissions year-round. We do not charge submission fees in the hopes that we can provide an opportunity for all artists, regardless of economic circumstances.
On that note, we offer a $25 payment for accepted comics and a complimentary copy of the journal in which your comic appears.
What we’re looking for
- We look for narrative fiction comics from new and emerging artists across all genres that play with form and content, as well as traditionally constructed comics with fresh voices and original ideas that say something new or bring nuance and perspective to an ongoing cultural conversation.
- We are passionate about representing a range of minority voices in the journal — by “minority,” we mean intersecting communities that often have their voices suppressed (the LGBTQIA+ community, people with disabilities, BIPOC, noncitizens).
- Most importantly, we look for comics that invokes a visceral reaction in our readers—whether it’s joy, fear, or the solace found in being seen and understood, make our readers feel something.
- Do not submit works that promote racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, ableism. Be thoughtful and intentional in your work.
In the email
- We only accept electronic submissions sent to email@example.com, with “Comic Submission: Name, Title” in the subject line
- For example, Comic Submission: Jane Doe, The Girl in the Pool
- Comics should be attached to the email as .doc or .pdf. Please do not put the story in the body of your email.
- Include your name, address, email address, and the title of your story in the body of the email. We do not require author bios or cover letters along with your submission. If you would like to include a cover letter, please keep it brief, and add it to the body of the email.
Please include content warnings if you feel your story contains particularly sensitive material, any warnings will not affect the review process.
In the submission
- Max 15 pages measured 5 ⅛ inches wide x 8 inches tall.